Monday, October 25, 2010

Cannot create a Search Service Application

Recently I’ve been building out a few SP2010 farms manually using PowerShell so I can control the naming of certain elements like databases, app pools, etc. However, I ran into a situation where I needed to delete my search service (in two separate farms) and start over. At first, I couldn’t cleanly delete the service app. Both the web and PowerShell interfaces would just hang. Some pieces would get removed, and others would not. So this post helped me forcefully remove the service itself.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/88f7998f-4a88-4928-ba59-e76d7f6afcdc

This didn’t quite solve my problem though. When I would go to recreate the search service application, PowerShell would hang. I could see that just about everything was finished, but the service app was showing a status of “Error”. The trace logs didn’t help, so I began to dig around in the configuration database. Lo and behold, I found another row in the Objects table that had the same name as what I was trying to use for my recreated search service. I still don’t quite know how this happened… So I made sure I had the proper GUID for the orphaned item, and I used the stsadm –o deleteconfigurationobject command to remove the duplicate. Almost immediately my PowerShell command finished executing and all was well.

Both farms that had this issue had different orphaned items. On one farm, the object for the old service application needed to be deleted. On another farm, the objects for the crawl store and property store databases were the offenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment